Tuesday, December 27, 2011

My First Toy Story

For my first "toy story" I decided to feature one of the favorites from my collection, not to mention one of the oldest and cleanest action figures I've acquired.

This is a 1987 Sky Commanders Mint on Card (MOC) Rollerball with General Summit from Kenner. Now for people like me who grew up in the mid-late 80's, you would probably remember the cartoon that this fig was based on, the show Sky Commanders. It was basically a show that featured heroes and villains utilizing high-tech backpacks and zip lines to get around the mountainous setting of the show. The leader of the protagonists, the "Sky Commanders", was General Mike Summit. And the antagonists were the "Raiders" led by General Plague. You can find more info about the show from this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Commanders

Okay, now what made this fig one of my favorites, aside from it being from a show I grew up with, is the fact that it was the very first ebay purchase I acquired. Actually, it was the first purchase I made anywhere online so it was a big deal for me. I didn't even have a paypal account, I asked a friend who did have an account buy it for me. Now I was nervous the whole time because I have heard horror stories of how a lot of items sent to my country's postal service never make it through to the receiver. So I basically waited the said two to three weeks. And you can imagine how happy I was to receive that note from the post office to pick up my package. And I was on my way to work too. So I picked it up, (had to pay a small fee which I had no idea what it was for) then went to the office where I opened it. And boy was I satisfied. The seller packaged it very well and it was clean as a whistle. I think I actually creased the card myself because of my excitement to open it. But at the end of the day, I was happy to take it home and add it to my (small) collection. I never opened it though, I think I'm way passed that age when I played with toys. This was a mint collector's item and I intended to keep it that way as long as I can. I also consider it as a small investment as I do the rest of my collection. Something I could pass on to my future kids and grandchildren. So they could see what I grew up with and what I enjoyed.

So thats all for that fig, I hope you enjoyed this post. If you have any Sky Commander figs or stories related to them then share away. Until next post.

-Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I remember this series. Love the cartoon. Although I've never had one since I preferred Joe figs. And I do agree to keep it MOC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually never had one as a kid either but it was on my wishlist. So I consider myself lucky to acquire such a fig in this condition these days. Thanks for visiting :)

    ReplyDelete